Sunday, March 24, 2013

For some reason, I guess I kept thinking someone would realize I wasn't trying to put my ex-husband away anywhere. I was trying to force him to get help. I had no idea what was causing his behavior. I didn't know if it was the MS or if he had a mental illness. I could see his personality change form being normal (Or at least) someone who could be rational and reasonable, and then he could turn on the blink of an eye, into an angry man I didn't know.  His eyes would change, as if there was nothing behind them, no soul or feelings. When he got like that, I thought he would kill me. In fact, he told me he would track me down and find me, no matter where I went, even if I left the Country, he'd find me.  His having MS complicated things, and for years I went back and forth, was it me? He blamed me for everything, nothing was right. At one point, I realized there was a pattern to this behavior, and it started long before he had MS.  The periods of "normal" the periods of the "nice" person, were just getting shorter and shorter, and the mean angry person presented himself at random times, and more and more often.  I talked to his primary care Dr. explained his behavior, I was at a loss as to what to do. The Dr. told me he had some underlying mental illness, and the MS prevented him from hiding it any longer.  I thought I was doing the most humane thing possible by going to  court and obtaining a Court Ordered Evaluation.  My other choice, was to have him physically removed from our home. He was in an electric wheelchair, I knew he had no where to live if I had him removed. Where would he go, and would he get help? IF I had a Dr. evaluate him, they could tell me what was causing his behavior. But I never saw the evaluation, the Dr. called me from the hospital and told me they had completed the evaluation and they could not keep him over night. I knew the longest they could keep him was 3 days, that is MD. Law.  I wasn't trying to put him away, I was trying to get help for him, for me, for all of us. All I knew for sure was that I was afraid of him, and that I could not keep sneaking in my own house and hiding upstairs, where I knew he couldn't get to me.  When the Dr. Called me from the Hospital, he told me there was something wrong with my husband, and it wasn't caused by the MS. He told me "I would be afraid of him if I were you" and you need to send someone to pick him up. I asked him, again, "are you sure the MS isn't causing his behavior"  He said NO, MS does not cause what is wrong with him.  I called our oldest son and told him he needed to come home and get the van and go pick his father up at the hospital.  What I didn't know, was that my husband had called his sister from the hospital. Of course, he was angry at me. For being forced to undergo the evaluation.  The primary care Dr had told me he'd be angry, regardless of which way I chose to deal with him, having him removed, or the evaluation, he'd be angry at me. IF it were you, what would you have done?  I can't go back and do it over. What I know is, if I thought it was bad before, it was about to get a lot worse. 

No comments:


Followers